A Guide to Clean Makeup Brushes and Sponges at Home
A well-known fact is that Makeup Brushes and Makeup Sponges are essential and vital tools for applying cosmetics. To get the look that you covet with finesse and ease requires having the right Makeup Brush in your kitty. However, the time, money, and effort invested in procuring them go in vain if you do not maintain them properly. Why? The answer is simple. The residue of old cosmetics persists in the fine bristles and pores of used brushes and sponges. Along with sweat, oil, and grime, it becomes a very fertile ground for bacteria to grow. Just imagine using the same to get that look you want!!!! These brushes not only act as a medium to transfer them to your face leading to acne and breakouts but unclean brushes also lead to patchy application and do not help in smooth blending. Now the question does arise, How to prevent this from happening? What are the simple ways to clean them effectively? How often does it have to be done? Well, look no further. We have put together a few pointers stepwise that you can follow with ease and from the comfort of your home too.
1) Wet the Makeup Sponges and Brushes:
- You can place the Makeup Brushes and sponges under running tap water until they are fully soaked.
- The water can be lukewarm but you definitely do not want it to be too cold or hot lest they get spoiled.
- Take care to ensure that the Makeup Brush is with its head down so that the water does not go directly into the base of the bristles. This will prevent damage to the brush and ensure that it lasts long.
2) Use a shampoo, cleanser or mild soap to clean:
- Take a small amount of your regular shampoo, facial cleanser, or mild liquid soap in your palm.
- Using a bar of soap to clean may not be such a great idea as it would have to be rubbed against the brushes and sponges thereby causing undue pressure to them.
- After taking the cleaning agent in your palm, gently rub them into the sponge and brush.
- It is a good idea to use only one sponge or brush at a time so that the cleansing process is focused and effective.
- Gently massage the bristles of your Makeup Brushes with the love and care they deserve
- Round Makeup Sponges can be cleansed from inside out i.e. Place them on the palm of one hand and with the fingertips of your other hand start cleaning them from the center and go outwards with a slow, concentric, circular motion.
- Makeup Sponge Puff can be carefully rubbed with the cleaning product from the base to the tip so that their shape is maintained.
- The above steps will help loosen the debris of the old makeup products.
3) Rinse and repeat the above process:
- Rinse the brushes and sponges under running tap water.
- An effective cleaning requires that you repeat the above steps a few more times until the water after washing them becomes clear.
- Give the Makeup Sponges a gentle squeeze every time so that you remove all the soap suds.
- The Makeup Brushes can be gently shaken in between the rinses.
4) Drying the makeup tools:
- Drying the brushes and sponges is an important part of the cleaning process. If done right, it will work wonders in increasing their lifespan.
- Press the Makeup Brush gently against a clean, dry towel. This will help to soak the excess water. Do not forget to reshape the bristles with your fingertips into their original form and lay them flat overnight to dry.
- Alternatively, you can follow this handy tip- Keep the brushes to dry with the bristles hanging off the edge of a counter. This allows them to dry while retaining the correct shape.
- A word of caution here. Do not dry them in an upright position. This causes water to collect into the base potentially damaging them.
- Drying the Makeup Sponges is very simple. Wring out the excess water and pat them dry on a clean towel.
- Round Makeup Sponges and Makeup Sponge Puff can be kept in between the folds of the towel and then gently press with your palms.
- Do remember the brushes and sponges have to be airdried. How do you ensure this? That’s very simple. Just keeping them overnight in a well-ventilated area will suffice.
So you see, taking care of the tools that help to give you your perfect look is both easy as well as convenient. It just requires a wee bit of planning and discipline. Do follow the above routine once a week. Schedule a specific time in your weekly calendar and stick to it. Investing time regularly goes a long way in ensuring that your Makeup Brush and Makeup Sponges last long, are hygienic, and help you achieve the look of your dreams.